Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Pennsylvania Railroad General Electric E-44 electric freight locomotive # 4421 prior to the 1968 merger that created the Penn Central Railroad.

As an historically minded nostalgic railfan, I have always enjoyed seeing photographs from the long gone Pennsylvania Railroad.

I found this photo at My Link page Fallen Flags.Org located to the right of Your computer screen.

In the northeastern United States from New Jersey to Washington DC, the former Pennsylvania Railroad operated fast passenger and heavy electric powered freight trains, over the route that is known today as Amtrak's Northeast Corrdor.

After the Pennsylvania and the New York Central merged in 1968, the succesor company Penn Central as did as such. When Conrail began operations in 1976, Conrail also hauled heavy electric powered freight trains over this line until 1979.

The General Electric model E 44 locomotive, was a large heavy duty electric locomotive built by G.E during the late 1950's.

One of these former Pennsylvania E 44 electrics, is preserved on display today, at the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum in Strasburg Pennsylvania USA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something that helped me. Thank you!
Visit my web page - amazing commercials