Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Blinstrub Pharmacy on the southeast corner of South Kedzie Avenue and West 64th Place in Chicago's Marquette Park neighborhood. (Gone.) Chicago Illinois USA. March 1985.

Hi everyone!

Welcome aboard Eddie's Railfan Page, from the city of Chicago Illinois USA.

I grew up on the near southwest side of the city of Chicago Illinois, during the 1960's, 70's and 80's.

During the 1980's, I made several trips to Chicago's Marquette Park neighborhood.

When I began taking 35 mm pictures with My then "New" Pentax M.E Super camera in 1983, I soon found Myself documenting buildings and places on location. Sometimes these were just random snap shots I took just for the heck of it all. Boy, I am so glad that I did just that!

I took this photo way back in March of 1985.

These old neighborhood 1950's era Mom and Pop owned corner drug stores, began disappearing from Chicago's neighborhoods during the 1970's one by one.

By the time I had taken this photo, Blinstrub Pharmacy located on the southeast corner of West 64th Place and South Kedzie Avenue in Chicago's Marquette Park neighborhood, was in it's last few months of operation.

Little neighborhood drug stores like this, depending on how much room they had inside...sometimes had a little luch counter with stools, and would serve homemade sandwiches or hot stews. Some had little ice cream soda fountains and would serve ice cream sundaes.

Blinstrub Pharmacy, was one of the smaller of these neighborhood establishments, and by the time of this photograph, sold candy,newspapers, magazines, smoking supplies, medical home health care supplies, walkers, crutches, as well as snacks and soft drinks. Prescriptions were still being filled here on a very limited basis.

Blinstrub Pharmacy closed a few months after I had taken this photograph.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

1 comment:

Roy. said...

I could remember buying My morning Chicago Sun Times newspaper here on My way to work.

Roy.