Wednesday, November 21, 2012

CTA- Trolley Bus, Last Final Months (1972).



I  found this unique and very historic silent home movie from the Chicago Transit Authority
on You Tube recently.

This collection of vintage silent home movies, were photographed primarilly on the northside
of the city of Chicago Illinois during the year of 1972.

I was born in 1962, and I have happy if now somewhat vague memories of riding and observing
the last remianing CTA electric trolleybuses in service, when I was growing up in Chicago. This
video, shows what I used to experience on a daily basis as a kid, watching and riding the CTA
electric trolleybuses.

This movie, was photographed during the final months of CTA elecric trolleybus operations.
High maintenance costs, and limited flexibility of operation, is what did the electric trolleybuses
in for the CTA. The trolleybus routes were finally phased out for good in March of 1973.

Thanks.
Eddie K.

No comments: